Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Rosamond, recorded

"I don't need subjects that are conventionally beautiful. With, say, a parrot, there's not much for me to figure out. Something that is obviously beautiful gets all the credit, and then I don't have to do much work. For example, skulls are fabulous. And bones have such a variety of shapes to suit specialized purposes. What I really like about a femur, for example, is the way it twists." ~ American photographer Rosamond Purcell, quoted in National Geographic. One of my favorite artists, she has spent her career photographing specimens behind the closed doors at museums. For instance, that is a trunkfish above from the Tradescant Collection, Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology, University of Oxford, U.K. (SLIDESHOW HERE, VIDEO HERE).

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your comments here.

Labels